Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Day the Music Died!!

Does anyone remember when it happened!? Was it the day Souljah Boy got approval to release his second album? Or did it happen long before?

Don't get it twisted I admire Souljah Boy for everything he's done, when have you ever heard of a 15 independent record label CEO, who's actually have nationwide success; but really "Kiss Me through the Phone", "LOL, Smileyface"? Is that what our generation is capable of musically!? Really!?

If you're confused about what I'm talking about, go to your parents house (or for some us their room) and ask them about their "Album collection". Now you may not know what an album is, but they should be able to explain it to you or possibly even show you one. Matter of fact, I'll do one better go to your nearest computer and locate the following tracks:

Michael Jackson – Get on the Floor

Jackson 5 – Love Song

Dobbie Brothers – What a Fool Believes

Jackson 5 – Never Can Say Goodbye

Teena Marie – Square Biz

Dazz Band – Whip it

Just to name a few of my favorites, but I'm sure other Music-Heads will be able to recommend some others for you.

These songs epitomize what music used to be, the only technology they used (for some) was what was needed to record it and make it listenable. If you listen to some Motown oldies, you'll know what I'm talking about; some of the recordings are soo raw, that you can actually hear the conductor count it off. They used instruments, real instruments not the ones on the studio's computer but ones you actually have to hold in your hand. The difference in the quality of the music, not the lyrics, or the singer, but the actual music is amazing. Especially music from the 60's and 70's, the way they used the different instruments to create the sound that they had, it's emotional. Check the profile, I told you I LOVED music.

Just listen to the music of today and compare it to music of the past. You can't, there's no comparison. When I listen to my mom's music, I'm sometimes embarrassed by some of our music. You know there was a point-in-time when record labels wouldn't hire producers or sign artist, if they didn't have some sort of musical ability. You had to be able to write and play an instrument. Old school producers like Holland-Dozier-Holland knew how to play most if not all of the instruments in the studio. Yeah back then some studios had actual instruments in them. When you recorded a track, it was almost like performing in the studio. Nowadays, some artist don't meet their "band" until it's time to go on tour which as we know changes the sound of the music completely.

When did we get to the point where the only requirement as an artist is that you be pretty or "marketable"? Some producers couldn't play an instrument if you put a gun to their head. Everyone is sooo amped about using the newest musical technology devises but hand them an instrument and they look lost. Awhile back I happened upon a YouTube clip of Just Blaz playing the drums, I almost cried. You could tell he enjoyed playing them, and his confidence while he was playing them was almost orgasmic.

Now for some of you I may have lost you at "LOL, SmileyFace" but the rest of you understand where I'm coming from. I know I speak on your behalf when I say to up-and-coming producer and artist, when I say bring back the music of the past… music so good it makes you cry… music so good you don't need the artist to sing on it. You know some old school songs are almost seven minutes long. New school songs end at three minutes, the MOST!! WTF!! By the time you catch the groove the song is over.

Let me just say, I commend artist like Solange Knowles who had no problem bringing back the old school flavor to music with a modern day twist. If you don't know what I'm talking about, RUN to your nearest music outlet and purchase, yeah I said it, PURCHASE Sol-Angel and the Hadley Street Dreams. That's music that I can stand behind.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment